Forthcoming News and Dates for Tours in 2016:
In the Summer of 2016 I will offer the following trips and excursions.
The Registration for the following trips is Open. Please contact me with a message in order to have more information on the program and costs.
Five days from Monday, July 4th to Friday, July 8th, 2016.
– This stay is set in the beautiful scenario of Sauris, in the Eastern Alps, in the verdant region of Carnia, at the margins of the beautiful Dolomiti Friulane and not far from the Julian Alps either, which are also in sight from here. We will take daily excursions at the discovery of the wonderful flora of this corner of the Alps. The program includes a variety of visits: from local herb gardens, kitchen gardens and allotments, to establishments who grow and process herbs, to a day spent in the highland plateaus where only Alpine plants grow, to lower level meadowlands.
Alpine Botanical Gardens:
Six days from Monday, August 8th to Saturday, August 13th, 2016.
– This residential stay is organised in the region of Alpago, near Belluno, one the three "capitals" of the Dolomites' region. It will take in the visit of two important botanical gardens within the area, the Alpine Botanical Garden of the Oriental Alps, on Monte Faverghera above Belluno, and the Cansiglio Alpine Botanical Garden, set in Cansiglione of the most atmospheric areas of the Belluno region. There will be also an excursion in the altitude of the Vette Feltrine, in order to discover 'live' the amazing flora of this corner of the Alps, so important to prompt a creation of a National Park (the Dolomiti Bellunesi), as well as a daily trip (by train) to Padua, seat of one of the world's oldest and most renowned Botanical Gardens, certainly the foremost in Italy to this day.
Trieste and Carso area:
Six days from Sunday, September 11st to Friday, September 16th, 2016.
– Trieste has the beauty of the azure Adriatic Sea: in this corner of Italy the classical beauty of the Mediterranean landscape is tempered by the first hints of the Slavonic worlds, as well as the Alps, which provide an almost magical backdrop to the area. The long-standing Austrian-Hungarian presence can still be felt in the air, and has left many traces in the landscape, in the cuisine, and in the local customs.
The Carso is in fact one cultural and geographical entity, even though it now belongs to two different countries. It is a region known far and wide for its geological features – so important that they even gave their name to a whole series of geological phenomena (defined precisely as 'karstic'). During this trip, we will walk the Rilke's Path near Duino, visit geologic ('karstic') and botanical features, and will also take a daily trip to the World Heritage Site of the unforgettable Škocjan Caves, in nearby Slovenia.
Dolomite Mountains Classic:
Six days from Monday, September 26th to Saturday, October 1st, 2016.
– The Dolomites capture the imagination for their stunning peaks, seemingly coming out of the dark green of spruce forests. The name 'Dolomites', almost speaks for itself as a synonym for "magical mountains", with remarkable geology, charming towns, and delectable fresh local food and wine. The Dolomite Mountains are also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We will experience many of the serial properties of the Dolomite World Heritage Site during our stay, including the Tre Cime, the highest peak of the Marmolada, the Sciliar and the Bletterbach gorge.
The trip will include a series of highlights from all three main Dolomites' regions (Belluno, Trentino, South Tyrol). The majestic peaks of the Dolomites – with their immense views – offer the incredible experience of walking on what was once the bed of an ocean. We will trek on historical trails, taking in the grandeur of nature as well as the cultural, artistic, historical and gastronomical plenty that this region has to offer. Wewill also be talking some memorable meals – and did we mention the wines? This trip is itinerant, with overnight stays in different locations, including Cortina d'Ampezzo, the Val Gardena and Fai della Paganella, near Trento.
Julian Alps (dates to be announced)
– The Julian Alps are renowned for their scenic beauty, Slovenian culture, and gastronomic specialties.
Please note: The Dolo-Slovo Rocks! that was planned for June 21-30, 2016 has now been cancelled. Tom and I are hoping to offer this trip at a later date (to be announced) in 2017.
If you are interested in this trip, please check this page regularly, as well as Tom's website: www.geology-adventures.com
More information on the schedule of Tom's other trips can be seen in his website, as indicated in the link just above.
In the summer of 2014 I have teamed with Tom Williams of Williams 'GeoAdventures' on a Geology Field Trip to Southern and Northern Italy from June 7-16, 2014. I have accompanied Tom and his group on the northern leg of the trip from June 7-16. We have visited the Naples area (including sites such as the Vesuvius, Pompeii, Herculaneum and the Phlegrean Fields) for three days, the Cinque Terre also for three days, then crossed the Apennines (stopping in the Berceto area) and eventually stayed in the Dolomites for four days.
Tom was teaming with Alan Clewlow of Volcanic Experiences for the southern leg of the journey from June 1-9, and together they have explored the geologic wonders of Sicily and the Aeolian Islands. The entire trip has included visits to six UNESCO World Heritage sites!
The trip was a great success!!!
Check out the Williams GeoAdventures website at www.geology-adventures.com for more information.